What You Need to Know About Moisturizing Your Face
Moisturizers are used to make the external layer of the skin softer, hydrated, and more pliable. There are a lot of brands available in the market and you can also make at home using common pharmacy ingredients and some ingredients found in your kitchen.
Skincare can be confusing sometimes, especially if you don’t know what brand you’ll use and finding the right way to moisturize can be a battle if you don’t know what type of skin you have. Make sure you’re choosing a moisturizer that works for your skin to avoid the occurrence of common skin problems. To choose a perfect moisturizer, consider these guidelines:
Normal Skin – This type of skin is neither too dry nor too oily. It is recommended to use light and non-greasy water-based moisturizer in order to maintain the natural moisture balance of the skin.
Dry Skin – For those with dry skin type, it is better to use a moisturizer that can help restore moisture of the skin. The most appropriate moisturizer to use is those heavier ones or oil-based and petroleum-based products that contain active moisturizing ingredients. Such products will keep your skin hydrated.
Oily Skin – Having an oily skin is prone to acne and other skin problems. This skin type, though naturally oily in nature still needs to moisturize especially after activities causing dry skin. Apply only a light moisturizer after using products that can remove dirt and excess oil.
Sensitive Skin – This skin type is susceptible to skin irritations, redness, itching, and rashes. It is recommended to use moisturizers that contain soothing ingredients such as aloe vera and chamomile. Avoid skincare products that contain potential allergens such as fragrances as well as irritants such as acids.
The Importance of Moisturizing
- Using the right kind of moisturizer that works for your is important to maintain your skin’s natural pH balance.
- A freshly moisturized skin has a healthy sheen which can even out and reduce the appearance of other skin blemishes.
- Keep your facial skin young and healthy by applying a moisturizer daily. Moisturizing can boost the ability of the skin to repair itself.
- Moisturizing daily can reduce the chance of developing extreme dryness and oiliness that causes common skin problems such as acne breakouts.
When to Moisturize
- Apply your favorite moisturizer daily after you take a bath or shower while your facial skin is still moist, it will penetrate the skin surface properly. This is very important especially if you take a hot bath because hot water can strip all the moisture and natural oil of the skin, making it dry and parched.
- Use a gentle touch when applying a moisturizer on your clean face. Avoid pressing on it, move in upward strokes, starting from your neck to your forehead and be extra careful of the skin surrounding your eyes.
- Moisturizing your face twice a day is nice especially if you have parched and extremely dry skin: once in the morning and once in the evening before going to bed.
- You can also apply your moisturizer as a base for makeup. A light consistency moisturizer holds the makeup for a longer period of time.
What Happens When You Don’t Moisturize
We all know that moisturizing is important to prevent skin dryness. This is just one obvious reason; there are other bad effects that you need to know:
- Leaving moisturizer out of your daily skincare routine can lead to developing more and much deeper wrinkles.
- Skipping your daily moisturizer can make your complexion appears dull and flaky especially during cold weather.
- If you don’t moisturize, your skin becomes dry and can make your acne worse.
- Most of the skincare products contain retinoids, salicylic acid, and benzoyl peroxide that can make the skin very dry, if you don’t follow up a moisturizer, you lose an extra layer of protection and could end up with red and peeling skin.
- many moisturizers have SPF in them, and if you’re skipping moisturizer, you’re probably also skipping a separate sunscreen step, which could lead to sun damage.
- Your face will feel tight and itchy if you skip your daily moisturizing routine and there’s nothing good about it.
To sum it all up, any skin type is susceptible to skin dryness, even oily skin but with the help of appropriate moisturizing your skin will look healthy and youthful in appearance.