What Ingredients to Avoid in Your Favorite Shampoo and Conditioner
Washing our hair is like brushing our teeth and cleaning our face. That daily habit that we do automatically – lather, rinse, put on the conditioner, towel dry or blow dry and that’s it. We can get on with our daily activities. This quick routine is fine for those who are lucky to be born with lustrous and shiny hair but for most, they really need to put more effort in caring and finding the right products to use on their mane.
Somehow, every girl’s dilemma is finding the best hair shampoo and conditioner for their locks. Of course, who would have wanted a dull-looking and unhealthy frizzy hair, right? The problem is there are hundreds of shampoo and conditioner available in the market, all claiming to be super effective, how would one know if the brand or the product she picks is the best?
Having the best shampoo and conditioner gives you a great hair and having a great hair makes you more confident about yourself. So, picking the best shampoo and conditioner for your hair is a must!
Things to Consider Before Buying a Shampoo and Conditioner:
- Always read the label. The list of ingredients on your shampoo and conditioner bottle might be confusing but, Google is always there. Make him your best friend and he can help you.
- Get a shampoo and conditioner for your hair type because it is important to use correct shampoo and conditioner when it comes to cleansing your hair. Also, different shampoo and conditioner have different benefits so it is important to match what your hair needs to your shampoo and conditioner.
- For oily hair, look for a gentle shampoo and avoid those creamy and thick ones. A volumizing shampoo is great to add body to your hair. Avoid products with moisturizing and conditioning formula. You don’t need more moisture to your hair.
- For coarse and chemically treated hair, look for creamy shampoo and conditioner. Go for products with moisture replenishment formula.
- For frizzy hair, the secret is in your hair conditioner. Always apply a hair conditioner every after shampoo and a hot oil treatment once a week.
- For color treated hair, choose a color-safe/color preserving shampoo that won’t strip out the highlights of your hair. Try using rapid growth shampoo and conditioner by Punch Skin Care.
- As much as possible look for the brand that offers hair care products that are 100% organic and made with all-natural ingredients. One of the great brands today is Punch Skin Care, all their hair care and skin care products are hypoallergenic and proven safe and effective to use.
What Ingredients to Avoid in Your Shampoo and Conditioner:
Here are the five toxic ingredients to watch out for whenever you buy a bottle of shampoo and conditioner. These toxic ingredients are a no-no because of the danger it might cause to your health.
- Parabens – Parabens are widely used preservatives in cosmetic products to prevent bacteria growth. Paraben allows your personal care products to survive for years. However, they can also enter your body while using products containing parabens and it is not good for your health because it is linked to breast cancer as it can mimic estrogen and disrupt the body’s hormone system.
- Sulfates – Other common ingredients in a cleaning and personal care products are Sulfates. The most common sulfates are SLS or sodium lauryl sulfate found in most shampoo and conditioner. Sulfates are chemical detergents and extremely effective at removing dirt, however, it is harsh on the hair and scalp because it strips away the natural moisture that keeps your locks shiny and soft. This toxic ingredient is linked to skin damage and rumored to be cancer causing ingredient.
- Fragrances – The term fragrance is your personal care and cosmetic products represent a complex mixture of dozen chemicals. Many of these unlisted chemical ingredients are irritants and can trigger allergies, asthma symptoms, and migraine. These fragrances are added not to give a pleasant aroma but to hide the harsh chemical smells of the other toxic ingredients. Fragrances found in products you’re using are called the new second-hand smoke, like a cigar, it is not safe for your health and the people near you.
- Triclosan – Today’s harmful additive dissection is Triclosan, a toxic ingredient used in many products including skin care and hair care products to keep germs at bay. Yes, triclosan can help reduce or prevent bacterial contamination that’s why it is so popular! However, there are side effects in too much consumption of triclosan. In different studies, triclosan is linked to the abnormal endocrine system, weakened immune system, uncontrolled cell growth, developmental and reproductive toxicity, and for children exposed at an early age have an increased chance of developing allergies, asthma and eczema.
- Polyethylene Glycol or PEG – PEG is widely used personal care and dermatics. This synthetic raw material is commonly used as emollients and emulsifiers. According to different scientific research, there are two big reasons why you need to avoid PEGs in hair care products. First, PEGs are penetration enhancers, meaning it is easier to other ingredients to get into the skin and second, carcinogen contamination concern, in simple term, it is a highly toxic chemical – a cancer causing ingredient.