The Best Anti-Aging Foods To Eat
We’ve learned a lot from our previous article about the benefits of eating skin-perfecting superfoods. This time, we would like to share our top 5 (easy to find) superfoods that aides in slowing down your aging process.
Aging is a natural process, but there are many things involved in how long you’ll live. One of the best ways to do is be healthy inside and out. Did you know that eating nutrients packed diet plays a vital role in fighting the aging process? By following a healthy lifestyle and staying active by means of engaging yourself from different exercises may also improve your overall health.
Here’s to your health! And oh, we also included some simple recipes for you to try.
Apricot – Apricot fruits are packed with beta-carotene, fiber, and vitamin C. This fruit is considered to be a great food that provides a protective effect of antioxidants. When consumed, our bodies convert the carotenoid beta-carotene into vitamin A, which contributes to a healthy eyes, skin, hair, gums, and glands.
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp. agave nectar
- 4 strips of 3 inches long each organic orange peel
- 1 pound apricot, pitted and into 4
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring water, agave nectar, and orange peel to a boil. Add apricots and reduce to a gentle simmer. Depending on ripeness, cook for 2-3 minutes or until apricots is just tender.
- Transfer apricots to a shallow bowl. Pour just enough liquid over them to cover and return the saucepan with remaining liquid to stove over medium-high heat until lightly syrupy for about 10 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a dish with apricots. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Olive Oil – We all know that olive oil has been used as a beauty treatment for centuries. For that, we believe that, indeed, olive oil can help slows down the process of premature aging. A study shows that the Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil is one of the best ways to lower the risk of heart diseases, high blood pressure, and stroke.
Olive oil contains polyphenols, a powerful antioxidant that prevents age-related diseases.
Recipe Ingredients for Spicy Whole Wheat Linguine with Red Peppers:
- 1 pound whole wheat linguine
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. crushed red-pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium red bell peppers, cut into strips about ¼ inch thick
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
- In a separate saucepan, heat oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic over medium heat stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes. Cook until very soft for 20 minutes.
- Drain pasta and rinse with warm water. Shake out excess water and return the pasta to pot.
- Stir salt into bell pepper mixture. Add the pasta and toss well to coat.
Tomatoes – Tomatoes deserve a place in anyone’s diet, especially if you are interested in preventing age-related diseases and maintain a healthy skin. Because tomatoes are packed with nutrients, it is considered as one of the best skin perfecting super foods, thus it is safe to say that it is also the best food to include in your daily diet to slows down and prevent premature aging.
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene which protects the skin against sun damage and strengthen skin by inhibiting the activity of collagenases that helps ensure the firmness and elasticity of the skin.
Recipe Ingredients for Farro Spaghetti with Fresh Tomatoes and Marcona Almonds:
- 2 pounds large tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. red-pepper flakes
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves (torn if large)
- Coarse salt
- Recipe Ingredients for Farro Spaghetti with Fresh Tomatoes and Marcona Almonds:
- 10 ounces farro spaghetti
- 1/3 cup Marcona almonds, chopped
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, oil, pepper flakes, basil, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Set aside for at least an hour.
- Cook pasta according to package direction. Drain and return pasta to pot.
- Add tomato sauce and toss to combine. Top each serving with chopped Marcona almonds and fresh basil leaves.
Papaya – Papaya is packed with vitamins C and A which makes it a high source of antioxidant. It has flavonoids lutein, zeaxanthin, lycopene, and cryptoxanthin which are all powerful antioxidants that help fight free-radical damage and help to slow down or prevent aging. Aside from its anti-aging benefits, eating papaya also helps prevent common colds, reduce stress, and maintain healthy bones.
Recipe Ingredients for Strawberry Papaya Smoothie:
- ½ cup strawberries
- 1 cup sliced ripe papaya
- 1 cup coconut kefir
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- ½ cup water and ice
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
Red Wine – Red wine contains a higher concentration of antioxidants called resveratrol compared to grape juice. These antioxidants are known to help protect against heart diseases and diabetes.It also fights free radical damage to prevent premature aging.