Shampoo 101: Choosing the Right Shampoo
Not all shampoos are created equal; shampoos are created for a certain type of hair. One thing is for sure, shampoos are meant to clean your hair and scalp of dirt, oil, and hair products you’d use. With that said, it is only proper to know what type of hair you have before buying yourself one.
Staring at the isle of shampoo bottles but don’t know what to pick is very frustrating. Check out this guide for you to be able to determine what kind of shampoo you’ll need according to your hair type.
Dry Hair – Do you have a string and straw-like hair? Or your scalp is itchy and flaky? It’s time to put back the moisture of your locks and scalp.
- Pick a shampoo that promotes moisture and hydrates and smooths the hair.
- If you have a severely dry scalp, pick a shampoo that’s specifically formulated for dry scalp. Shampoo with menthol or tea tree ingredients can also help moisturize dry scalp.
- An ingredient like Argan oil is also great for dry hair and scalp.
- You should avoid volumizing, fortifying, and strengthening shampoos. These types of shampoo can strip scalps natural moisture.
- Whether you have a dry hair or healthy hair, shampoos with sulfates is a no-no. Sulfates can be very drying to your hair and scalp.
Oily Hair – If you have a greasy hair, you end up washing your locks twice a day just to remove the excess oil from your hair and scalp.
- A clarifying shampoo that contains salicylic acid can help you solve your oily hair and scalp problem.
- You can also use shampoos with volumizing, balancing, and strengthening on its label, These kinds of products are less moisturizing and more effective at removing excess oil.
Damaged Hair – Despite your best efforts in taking care of your crowning glory, still it suffers from breakage and split ends.
- Give your hair what it needs by picking the right shampoo. Look for the label that reads strengthening. This kind of shampoo can help your hair fight against different forms of damage.
Color Treated Hair – It is so heartbreaking that after you spent hundreds of dollars for hair color, only to have it fade or turn brassy a week later. Don’t let this happen, pick the right shampoo that specifically created for color treated hair.
- There’s a lot of color safe shampoo out there. You can use a sulfate-free shampoo that contains moisturizing ingredients for strengthening hair along with UV protection to keep hair color from fading.
- You can also go for a shampoo with color-enhancing extracts and moisturizing ingredients. It helps hair to look vibrant and soft.
Choosing the right shampoo can make a great difference to the health of your hair and scalp. It’s never too late, start today and make the list above your guide. 🙂
Watch out for our next Shampoo 101: Shampoo Glossary you didn’t Know.