Healthy Ways to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes
Periorbital Puffiness, puffy eyes, or swelling around the eyes is the swelling of the orbits – tissues around the eyes. These puffiness or bags under the eyes are very common as we age. While some degrees of puffiness may be normal for some individual, factors such as fatigue, poor diet, and alcohol and tobacco use make the swelling more prominent to some.
Usually, puffy eyes will resolve on its own or with some basic home treatments. But puffy eyes are also symptoms of other eye conditions that need further examination by a licensed eye-care professional.
What Causes Puffy Eyes?
- Puffy or swollen eyes can be caused by fluid retention, stress, allergies, hormonal changes, and other factors. Crying is often accompanied by swollen eye which is normal because the tiny glands in the eyelids that produce tears became inflamed from overactivity.
- We also get puffy eyes after sleeping; this can be caused by too much sodium in our diet. Lack of sleep can also be a cause of puffy eyes along with too much intake of alcohol and too much smoking.
- Puffy eyes can also be caused by aging process and other eye conditions that need to be treated by eye care professionals like nephritic syndrome, conjunctivitis, among others.
How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes the Healthy Way
Puffy eyes can make you look tired and stressed but you can easily take care of them with some home treatments. Here’s how:
- Soak tea bags in hot water for a few minutes, take them out and let cool for a few minutes.
- Put the tea bags over your eyelids and cover them with a soft cloth. Leave them in place for 10 minutes. Repeat the process several times a day.
- Cut the cucumber into thick slices and chill it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Place the cold cucumber slices over your eyelids for 10 minutes or until the cucumber slices become warm. Repeat the process several times a day.
Cucumbers contain enzymes and astringent properties that help reduce inflammation and help tighten skin. This home treatment will also help in getting rid of wrinkles and dark circles around your eyes.
- Chill the spoons in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Hold the rounded portion of one cold spoon against your eyes for a few minutes or until it becomes warm. As it warms, replace it with another cold spoon. Repeat the process several times.
This super simple home treatment is very effective. It will help tighten the skin around your eyes as well as relax the blood vessels, thus offering relief to puffy and tired eyes.
- Wash, dry, and peel a medium-sized potato. Grate the potato and put the shavings on a clean cloth and tie it up.
- Place the cloth over your eyelids for several minutes and repeat the process until the swelling subsides.
The anti-inflammatory properties of potato starch helps reduce under-eye bags and can effectively eliminate dark circles on the eye area.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of salt in a bowl containing 4 cups of water. Make sure the water is not too hot.
- Soak cotton balls in the saline water and place them over your eyelids for a few minutes. Repeat the process for 20 minutes.
Mixture of hot water and salt helps reduce swelling and puffiness around the eyes. The salt water effectively eliminates fluid retention in a way similar to osmosis.
You can easily get rid of puffy eyes the healthy way by using these simple and easy home remedies. However, if you experience puffy eyes with no obvious reason and it is accompanied by pain and discomfort, consult your eye doctor immediately.