Everyday Habits That Are Damaging Your Hair
Let’s be true to ourselves, we all want that thick, shiny, and healthy looking hair. And accept it or not we all searched for ways, products, and super-hero like tools to have perfect locks and keep it beautiful.
There are many factors that extremely damaging to hair that we can’t totally avoid, like exposure to the sun, bleach, and dirt. Experts say that among the top problems both men and women is hair loss. Hair loss can be associated with our daily lifestyle, use of drugs, and food habits. Furthermore, constant exposure to pollution and hair coloring can wreck havoc to our crowning glory. While most of us conveniently blame the weather, stressful lifestyle, and other things, it is actually ourselves who are to blame for the damage to our hair. Surprisingly, our daily habits can greatly damage our precious locks.
Bad Shower Habits
- Many of us don’t know that scalding hot water is bad for our hair and scalp. You heard me right! Hair washing our hair with hot water can dry out the hair and scalp, making hair brittle and prone to breakage. The best way we can do to protect our mane is to wash it with warm water and rinse with cooler temperatures to seal moisture into the hair and prevent breakage.
Wrong Choice of Pillowcase
- Sleeping in regular cotton pillowcases is one of the reasons why our hair gets damaged. Hair loss, frizziness, and hair dryness are results of crushing our hair on a rough pillowcase while we toss and turn every night. The best way we can do is to use a silk pillowcase so our hair can glide easily across the pillow while we sleep.
- This is one thing we are all guilty of doing. Over brushing is one of the worst things we can do to our hair. The old tale about 100 strokes before going to bed can make our hair shiny and full is not true. In fact, excessive brushing can extremely damage our hair as it can cause breakage and split ends. Instead of a brush, the best thing we can do to prevent hair breakage is to use our fingers when styling our hair.
Braids, Ponytails, and Tight Hairstyles
- Wearing ponytails and braids every day can cause hair breakage especially if it is pulled tightly because it creates pressure to the same place in our hair shaft. It can weaken our hair over time and it prevents hair growth. Instead of ponytails and braids, we can try using bobby pins to style our hair or we can use a cloth-coated rubber band.
- Smoking is really no, no if we want a healthy hair. Aside from damage, it causes to our hair, it also damages every organ in our body. So, how does smoking affect our hair? Smoking can cause hair strands to turn brittle and look dull; it is also the cause premature thinning and graying of the hair.
- Shampoos are made to cleanse our hair and scalp and to remove oil build-up. Too much use of shampoo or excessive hair washing can also cause hair damage because it removes or strips our hair’s natural moisture making our locks look dry, brittle, and unhealthy. The best thing we can do to prevent hair damage is to shampoo our hair every other day and put some hair conditioner.
- Experts say that poor diet greatly affects the overall growth and appearance of one’s hair. Having a healthy and balanced diet will make our hair healthy, shiny, and full. A balanced diet includes eating healthy foods with the right amount of protein, iron, vitamins, minerals, and other important nutrients that needed by our body. A healthy hair is a hair that’s growing, shiny, and not easily broken.
Using Hair Damaging Products
- We should be more careful in choosing hair care and hair styling products. Many of these products contain harmful ingredients and toxic chemicals that greatly damage our hair and scalp. We should avoid products with an excessive amount of alcohol, parabens, sulfates, and artificial fragrances. The best thing we could is to look for hair care and hair styling products that are crafted with organic and all-natural ingredients.
We all want our hair to look good and more manageable if we can avoid these bad habits, surely we will have a healthy and beautiful hair over time.