Common Causes of Unhealthy Skin
Your skin is the largest organ of your body that also needs proper caring. It is also proper to keep your skin clean and healthy from inside out. From the previous article, you learn that there are some ways to keep your skin healthy and glowing. Today, we will uncover some major causes of unhealthy skin.
- Smoking – More puffs, more problems. This is true, excessive smoking is dangerous to your overheal health. Smoking has a lot of negative effects on the skin such as premature aging, loss of skin’s natural glow, bags under the eyes, pimple and acne breakouts, to name a few. According to experts, smokers heal much slower than non-smokers and because of that breakouts will take longer to clear up. Negative effects of smoking will not be visible overnight, but it will eventually.
- Alcohol Drinking – Excessive consumption of alcoholic drinks can lead to sickness and skin damage. Skin problems include dryness, redness, and premature aging. Excessive intake of alcohol increases inflammation which can hasten skin sagging over time.
- Lack of Hydration – Dehydration is lack of water and not oil. Even if you have an oily skin type, you are also prone to dehydration so drink an adequate amount of water to stay hydrated throughout the day. Dehydrated skin is often caused by external elements like the weather, unhealthy diet, and your lifestyle choices such as excessive intake of alcohol and caffeine. The lack of hydration will present itself by turning your skin dry, tight, and flaky.
- Not Getting Enough Sleep – A six to eight hours of sleep may be difficult to achieve because of a hectic schedule, but a complete rest at night is important if you want to have a healthy skin. Sleeping allows your body to repair itself and interrupting this process will slow down cell turnover. Sleeping allows your body to recharge and rest during the night which results in rejuvenated skin.
- Unhealthy Diet – Healthy and glowing skin is the expression of healthy dieting and healthy lifestyle. Eating unhealthy foods has adverse effects on your overall health as well as your skin. Poor dieting will reflect on the appearance of your skin and leads to early development of wrinkles and premature aging. An unhealthy diet is also the cause of dull and dry skin.
- High-Stress Level – Stress has noticeable negative effects on the skin. Stress escalates oil production, resulting in skin breakouts such as acne. According to a study, stress affects the barrier function of the skin, resulting in water loss that inhibits the skin’s ability to repair itself after an injury.
- Using the Wrong Skincare Products – With the hundreds of available skincare products in the market today it is often difficult to determine what product will work for you. However, when choosing the best product to use, it is important that the one you’ll pick will match with your skin type. Using the wrong product will not treat your skin problems; it will only worsen dryness, oiliness, breakouts, and redness.
- Sun Damage – Excessive exposure to the sun is the top skin offender as it can bring major damage to the skin. Sun damaged skin becomes dry and wrinkles because it depletes collagen and elastin from within, making the skin less elastic and thinner.
- Dirty Makeup Brushes – Using aged makeup and dirty makeup brushes is a no, no. Wash your makeup brushes every three weeks by using a gentle shampoo, rinsing them thoroughly, and allowing it to dry overnight. Using dirty brushes and aged makeup contains bacteria that can lead to skin problems such as acne breakouts, irritation, and redness.
- Lack of Exercise – The right amount of exercise every day has noticeable positive effects on your overall health. You don’t only get a better body when you exercise, you also get better skin. Make sure to get at least 30 minutes of daily exercises, it stimulates proper blood flow, giving your skin a healthy glow.
A flawless complexion is not only a confidence booster; it is also a direct reflection of what’s going on inside your body. A proper skincare routine, healthy diet, and healthy lifestyle is the three important things to master to achieve a healthy and younger looking skin from inside out.